Re: Donation Recommendation? - 24-bit sound card

On 22-08-08 23:09, Grant wrote:

> Can you just mount the DVD and cp the tracks over?  Probably not or
> you would have done that.

Not as individual tracks no. It's a regular DVD-Video, so you can copy
over the VOBs ofcourse, but piecing things together requires processing
them from harddisk then...

>> "Living with war" is not his finest work -- the "In the beginning" version
>> improves on it but there's just so much polish you can put on a turd.
>>
>> I'd _very_ much advice the "Greatest Hits" CD/DVD one though. Truly and
>> definitely excellent sound quality and ofcourse great music.
>
> Do you know of others?  I read he is into the Blu-Ray format and I
> can't imagine him going too all out with DVD-Video when he has his
> sights on Blu-Ray.

Yes, he's going Blu-Ray. "Greatest Hits" and "Living with war, in the
beginning" are 2 of the 3 CD/DVD I have of Neil Young, but according to
his discography:

http://www.neilyoung.com/archives/discography/nyd_start1.html

those might in fact be the only 2 with 96/24 audio. All his recent
releases have a CD and a "deluxe" CD/DVD version, but only with those
two does it mention high-resultion audio tracks there.

>> Especially if you, like me, like very direct recordings, you're going to
>> love the sound-quality even of the CD (as most of his releases, a HDCD).
>
> Can you rip and play back 20-bit HDCD audio?

I could, with a hackish tool I have here, but I must say that for now
I'm experiencing the value in HDCD mosly in the fact that if something
is an HDCD it was produced by someone that gives a shit about sound
quality and stands a good chance of sounding good on anything...

>>> BTW, the entire Doors catalog is available on DVD-A in 24/96.
>> For DVD-A you need a DVD-A player it would seem. I definitely haven't one.
>
> All you really need is a DVD drive and:
>
> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

Interesting. Thanks.

Rene.