Re: Donation Recommendation? - 24-bit sound card

On 22-08-08 20:58, Grant wrote:
>>> Recording wise 24 bit gives you a greater dynamic sampling range. But
>>> for most people it's not needed for playback as your CDs and DVDs
>>> are already in a 16 bit format. And the benefit on playback is
>>> minimal. Aside from generally being a better soundcard, rather than
>>> from the media that it will be playing. Are you looking for a card
>>> that only does 24 bit? Most that I know of do 16 and 24 bit. And the
>>> only 24 bit media I have is that that I created myself.
>> I can recommend becoming a Neil Young fan. He has released several CDs now
>> with a "bonus" DVD containing the entire album in 96/24 (PCM) :-)
>
> Are you sure about that?  I know he released a bunch of DVD-A discs
> with 24-bit stuff, but are you saying he released normal DVDs with
> 24/96 files just sitting there?  Google is no help.  Can you name one
> or two?  I'm a huge fan.

Definitely. CD/DVD version of his "Greatest Hits" (2004) has the entire
album in 96/24 PCM on the DVD-Video (which on a video DVD player shows a
nice picture of a spinning turntable while playing)

Same thing for "Living with war, In the begining" (2006). Note, that's
not the regular Living with war.

Those are the two I have here. mplayer was giving me endless grief
actually ripping the tracks from the DVD so I haven't yet done that in
fact, but:

Opening audio decoder: [dvdpcm] Uncompressed DVD/VOB LPCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 96000 Hz, 2 ch, s24be, 4608.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 576000->576000)
Selected audio codec: [dvdpcm] afm: dvdpcm (Uncompressed DVD/VOB LPCM)

(which then plays to a soundcard that does 4800/16 at best, but hey).

"Living with war" is not his finest work -- the "In the beginning"
version improves on it but there's just so much polish you can put on a
turd.

I'd _very_ much advice the "Greatest Hits" CD/DVD one though. Truly and
definitely excellent sound quality and ofcourse great music. There's a
sticker on the front with:

--------------------------
BECAUSE
SOUND
MATTERS
--------------------------
CD/DVD COMBO-PAK
--------------------------
COMBO-PAK features all
original master mixes
now in super-saturated
DVD-Stereo for the
-------------------------
HIGHEST
QUALITY
AUDIO
available on DVD
Also available on CD only

Especially if you, like me, like very direct recordings, you're going to
love the sound-quality even of the CD (as most of his releases, a HDCD).

> BTW, the entire Doors catalog is available on DVD-A in 24/96.

For DVD-A you need a DVD-A player it would seem. I definitely haven't one.

Rene.