Re: Donation Recommendation? - 24-bit sound card

I picked up a Delta 44 (pci / ice1712) off of craigslist for $100.  I would check to see what they need first.  The Delta is a fine card, but by the time you add in a microphone preamp, headphone preamp, and stuff just to record / playback stuff.  Not to mention the costs of cables and adapters relative to a typical household existing items.

Recording wise 24 bit gives you a greater dynamic sampling range.  But for most people it's not needed for playback as your CDs and DVDs are already in a 16 bit format.  And the benefit on playback is minimal.  Aside from generally being a better soundcard, rather than from the media that it will be playing.  Are you looking for a card that only does 24 bit?  Most that I know of do 16 and 24 bit.  And the only 24 bit media I have is that that I created myself.