Re: patching kernel source tree for ALSA

On 17-08-08 04:27, Phil Howard wrote:

> I'm building a monolithic Linux kernel, which means no modules. I'd
> like to find out how I can upgrade ALSA in a kernel source tree so I
> can build a complete kernel image with the latest version of ALSA
> (1.0.17) on the latest Linux kernel (2.6.26.2) that has an older ALSA
> (1.0.16).

Easiest is probably to grab the alsa-kmirror repository with git:

$ git clone git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-kmirror.git alsa-kmirror

and checkout the version you want:

$ git checkout -b tmp v1.0.17

The tree you then have only needs:

Documentation/*	--> Documentation/sound/alsa/*
include		--> include/sound
scripts		--> /dev/null

to, AFAIA, be nicely diffable with a kernel sound/, include/sound/ and
Documentation/sound/alsa/ tree.

Ofcourse, it may always be that the new ALSA code requires newer
upstream code, so whether or not it then compiles will vary.

(the scripts directory does contain some unique content in alsa, but I
suppose the kernel one is the authorative one).

> I will post separately the issue I'm trying to resolve (in case is
> something simpler than being broken in 1.0.16, such as a new config
> option).

Ofcourse, any subset of ALSA should not be significantly different here
if you just want a new driver or something...

Rene.