Re: Mia-Midi & Ubuntu 8.04

On Saturday 09 August 2008 01:58:52 Henry W. Peters wrote:
> The short of it is, I tried basically everything you suggested... plus
> de-installing the EchoMixer & associated products (controllers for other
> devices which I do not have, it comes bundled) by means of the
> Add/Remove menu item & then re-installing it (& other components) via
> the terminal/shell.

One good thing about using a shell is that you can paste
some of the output you see into an email here and we can
get an idea of what you are seeing. With a gui you can only
describe what you are doing, perhaps augmented with screen
captures, and that is... tedious.

> I basically cannot get the EchoMixer to open up (or any other of the
> "associated" controllers, either). This, I suppose, could be either
> symptom or cause (conflicts?), or even both?

Paste the output of these commands...

 ls -l /dev/snd/*
 aplay -l

and try to start echomixer in a shell as your normal user ID
(not as root) and also paste the results here. Just remember
to be judicious about how much you paste in an email back to
the list or some folks will get irate.

Perhaps try alsamixer (also in alsa-utils) in a shell and see
if that shows anything but I don't think it works with USB
based devices. With internal and onboard sound cards it's
quite common to have to unmute (m key in alsamixer) to get
any sound at all. Perhaps try this and see what happens...

 alsamixer -Vall -c1

Obviously if someone else on this list had the same card as
you they could offer more precise suggestions.

--markc