Re: Mia-Midi & Ubuntu 8.04

On Friday 08 August 2008 03:53:07 Henry W. Peters wrote:
> OK, since I received no reply for some time now, would someone please
> tell me if there is no interest for the below stated problem on this
> list, is there another support group list that I may go to regarding
> Ubuntu 8.04/Linux (Debian) & my Mia MIDI sound card?

The best I can determine from some quick googling is that your
card is supported and the alsa driver is called snd-mia so
first thing is to see if it's loaded... yes, "shell" means
that b&w terminal thing so open it up and type "sudo -i" to
become the root (administrator) user, then try...

 lsmod | grep ^snd | sort

and that will provide a list of all loaded alsa modules and
snd-mia should be on of them, if not then try...

 modprobe snd-mia

My lappie is running Kubuntu 8.04 and it has this module...

 find /lib/modules | grep mia

and the result is...

 /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-mia.ko

and repeat the above. Next step is to make sure the mixer is
onboard but it sounds like you have already done this step...

 apt-get update
 apt-get install alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils

which contains the echomixer program. The simple "aplay"
program that comes in the alsa-utils package is useful for
testing, so...

 aplay -l

will show a list of usable devices. If you can lay your hands
on a 16bit/48khtz wav file then it's a good way to test things.
If your mia is the second card (card 1) then something like
this may push the wav file out through the mia card...

 aplay -D hw:1 some.wav

and...

 aplay -h

will provide some guide as to the arguments for aplay. Fiddle
with the echomixer program and aplay for a while and hopefully
you will get some sound happening. Good luck.

BTW if you are new to using a shell you can swipe the command
line examples above with your mouse pointer, while the left
button is down (which highlights the area) and then simply
middle mouse button paste the results at the shell prompt.

--markc