Mia-Midi & Ubuntu 8.04

Hi,

New to Linux/Ubuntu 8.4, been doing digital sound for awhile...  Need
some help getting my Mia-Midi Echo sound card to function in my
homegrown AMD 64, dual booting XP home 32 bit sp3 w/ Ubuntu 8.04.

I downloaded & installed the Echomixer (w/ the whole package, which I
probably do not need (?)) this morning...  when I click on the icon
(Echomixer), nothing happens. I tried configuring "Sound" in
System-->Preferences-->Sound. No results that I can tell... I ran
modinfo soundcore in my terminal application... this is the output.
                                                :~$ modinfo soundcore
                                                filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
                                                alias:
                                                char-major-14-*
                                                license:        GPL
                                                author:         Alan Cox
                                                sound module
                                                srcversion:
                                                548AA54AF08207316C104F8
                                                depends:
                                                vermagic:
                                                2.6.24-19-generic SMP
                                                mod_unload 586

Any suggestions (& or necessary questions?)?

Thanks much,

Henry