Acer Aspire One, hda-intel, configuration …

Hi all,

I have recently bought an Acer Aspire One. Unhappy with some aspects
of the default OS, I installed Xubuntu 8.04.1 on it. I now have some
problems with the sound set-up. These problems occur both with the
stock Xubuntu kernel, and after I have installed ALSA 1.0.17 from
source.

The sound hardware is Intel 82801g, ALC268.

I have tried configuring the module with "acer", and "test", but
neither of these gives me perfect performance. Below are some details
of the system and the problems. I'm happy to patch and rebuild ALSA
1.0.17, and perform diagnostics on the machine to determine the
correct settings. Basic sound output and input are OK, it's just a
question of getting the right devices switched in and out at the right
times, I think!

The following physical inputs and outputs are present on the machine:

- Stereo internal speakers
- Stereo headphone socket

- Microphone in LCD Bezel
- Microphone socket

When ALSA is configured as "acer", I get audio output through both the
headphones and speakers, but the speakers do not switch off
automatically when I plug in the headphones, and it is not possible to
control the headphones and the speakers on/off state independently.
The microphone socket works (when I select "mic" as the capture), but
the bezel mic does not work regardless of the capture device ("Front
mic" seems most likely, but doesn't seem to work).

When I configure ALSA as "test", neither the bezel mic nor the mic
jack works for capture, but I am able to switch on and off the
internal speakers and headphone jack independently (though the
speakers still do not switch off automatically when the headphones are
plugged in).

If anybody is already developing a configuration for this platform,
I'm happy to test. If not, please let me know what information I
should provide, or where I should start hacking, in order to make
progress towards a working system for this (very nice!) hardware.

Should I switch to the alsa-devel list—is that a better place to ask
this level of question, or am I in the right place here?

TIA,

--
Bill Gallafent.