Re: Need Help with Audigy sound card.

James W. Frock, Ph.D. wrote:
> No doubt I am anxious about getting this Audigy sound card working.  I have
> tried all of the things I have found on the net  including the ALSA site.
> The Debian etch software makes it sound so easy.

I haven't used that distro, but usually it *is* easy.
Do you have old configuration files laying around from
another card?  How are you determining that it doesn't
work?  Have you tried
aplay -vv some.wav   ?
Are you using a sound server?  That can interfere with
sound as well.
Have you typed alsamixer in a console or terminal and
adjusted the volumes higher?  By default, volumes are
at zero to prevent speaker blowout.

> Since the kernel didn't see the onboard sound card I disabled the onboard
> sound card.  I don't even know what brand or type the onboard sound card is.
This is a bad sign.  It should have been seen.  It
sounds like something is wrong with the probing.
> After reading the ALSA site I decided to go out and  purchase the Audigy
> since the Penguin said it was a good choice.
>
> It is most likely a configuration issue however what needs to be configured
> and how should it be configured.  The ALSA process and documentation

In open source, the documentation is (almost) always
minimal and out of date.  The code is the real
documentation.  Writing documentation is not fun like
writing code is, so it tends to get shunted to the
indefinite future.  Unfortunately.

> instructions can be somewhat difficult to understand and employ as they were

Usually, the sound card is recognized and configured
without any intervention at all.  A standard card like
the Audigy should just work.

> written to help users of various distributions of Linux and not just Debian
> etch users. Sometimes I think a flow chart would be helpful to help follow
> and learn the various steps and files used to make all of this work.
>
> The install file is Gnome's Synaptic with ALSA 1.0-13 version which came
> with the recent etch set.  I think I have all of the necessary packages
> installed to make this work.
This is an older version of alsa.  On the home page at
http://www.alsa-project.org/ there is a link to the
latest version of alsa, 1.0.17.  You should install at
least the drivers and library from this latest version
if that is possible (you know how to compile a tar
archive).  The instructions are quite simple (in the
README), so you should be able to do this even if you
only have minimal experience.

> I posted an email yesterday with the specs of the kernel and various other
> parameters one might need to ascertain what the problem might be.

Could you run a script which provides more information
about your sound setup and post the link back here?
The script is found at
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

You could enable the onboard sound card before you do
this so it can be examined also.