Re: Output latency

Hola Jochen and all,

> yes, of course it is a trade-off between xruns and delay, but i do
> that adaptively as well - start with a quite low framing, measure the
> drop-out rate and reopen the soundcard in case of too much drop-outs.
> this only impacts the quality of the start-up phase and should
> therefore perform nicely in your setup as well, i think. maybe it is
> worth a try and the sound card adaptation is not too difficult...

Good stuff - I should go for it .

> hm, i am not sure, if i understand you correctly here. you have been
> synchronizing sender and receiver buffers or multiple receiver
> buffers? of course, if you want to align incoming and outgoing
> samples, you would loose one further frame. but i think that was not
> your point, was it?

I synchronized sender and receiver to T/2 but finally did not really keep track on that idea since other effects such as jitter had a much stronger impact in terms of delay. I might investigate in this later.

> yes, i have the very same problem. but clock drift is basically
> another issue, which would have to be fixed differently. (e.g. by
> clock drift estimation and resampling) i would like to have a
> solution, which measures the clock drift and the framing offset and
> tries to reduce the delay even further evaluating especially the
> framing offset. but maybe this is not so important for you, because
> your framing is much smaller than mine? my smallest frames are 480/512
> samples.

In fact I deal with maximal 256 samples/frame but this quite interesting anyay. In terms of clarification :
When talking of jitter in context with soundcards, what is generally meant :

The jitter in terms of interrupt times basically not leading to constant interrupts (up to max. 100 microseconds) or is it the slight inconsitencies of diracs for the actual sampling (typically not more than nanoseconds). "Drift" in that context means what  ?

When I talked of drift in my last post I meant the slight interrupt differences between two soundcards so that one is slightly faster than the other. Hence I thought that one card must have slightly shorter callback times (e.g. an average 2,62ms for one card and an average 2,65 ms for the other). Correct me  if I´m wrong.

Best

-- A l e x

--
Dipl.-Ing. Alexander Carôt