Re: Output latency

Alexander Carôt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> can anyone give me an explanation why the blocking delay of a soundcard appears twice using the ALSA driver ? E.g. with 48 kHz at 128 samles / frame I understand that the capturing process requires 2,6 ms to actually fill one block of audio samples (= blocking delay of 2,6 ms).
>
> However, so far I havn't understood why the devices requires another 2,6 ms latency for the playout : If a captured buffer of 128 sampels is already there why can't the device use each of its samples successively and play it out directly ?
>
> Thanks in advance for clarification
>
> -- A l e x

If I understand your question correctly, it is because they use two
different buffers.  If you aren't trying to play the capture buffer, it
would wreak havoc to try to use it for playback while capture is going
on.  So there is a buffer for capture and a buffer for playback.  And
each has a latency.  Someone who understands the system better might be
able to give a better explanation, or even suggest a workaround.