Re: Microphone works in Pulseaudio, not ALSA

Gordon Hollenbeck wrote:
> Ok... At this point I think it is a bug in either Ubuntu or ALSA itself.
> I installed a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI sound card and the same
> problems manifested themselves. I can hear myself breathing but
> gnome-sound-recorder will not record any sounds from the mic.
>
> I then recompiled alsa-drivers 1.0.16 and installed it (make install)
> but it had no effect. I didn't expect anything as the Ubuntu package of
> alsa-drivers was already 1.0.16
>
> I noticed that Ubuntu has version mismatches in the installed packages:
> alsa-driver 	1.0.16
> alsa-utils	1.0.15
> alsa-base	1.0.16
>
> Could this be a source of the problem?

I don't think this is the problem.  I'm running an hg version of
the alsa lib with the 1.0.14 utils package without any problems.
It seems like alsa is recognizing your soundcard just fine.
I think your conclusion that this is a
configuration issue is correct.  Two soundcards with exactly the
same problem in alsa?  Seems unlikely.

When you ran the arecord command, was there any error output?
Try the command again, but add a -v option for verbose.  Maybe it
will tell you why it is failing.  It could be permissions, or it might
tell you device unavailable, or ...

The behavior you are seeing could be caused by
a sound server holding the sound device.
Do you have esound or pulse enabled?  Try disabling them completely
and see if the behavior improves.

And this is probably not relevant, but is everything plugged into the
right place?

Have you tried recording in audacity?  Does it give you multiple
device options for recording?

If you don't have aoss package installed (oss emulation under alsa),
install it and try with oss as the device.  Does it work?  If it does, that
points even more strongly to a configuration issue.

Have you tried the question on the ubuntu lists?  If it is a configuration
issue, that would be a more likely place than here.

If none of that works, perhaps someone more knowledgeable
can help you with this.