Re: Distributing alsa-settings

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16-04-08 09:07, Helge Fredriksen wrote:

We're making our own specially tailored Linux based upon the Ubuntu package repository. The application running on the distro is a sound-enabled one, and it will always be setup with the same sound card.
However, we cannot use the default settings in alsa for this card. For example, the microphone is always muted and we want the boost to be set on.

When a customer installs the distro, we do not want to lead him through how to adjust this, we would like that the settings we have tuned in our "development" environment (mic on etc.) is copied as default
on the distro.

Where is the alsa settings stored when a user tunes them, and in which system directory may I copy them to make them default on such a distro?

Set the desired default settings for the card on one system and then do a "alsactl store" once. This will create an /etc/asound.state file (or a file you specify with the -f parameter) which you can restore from with "alsactl restore" which you'd do from an init script (or an "install" trigger from modprobe.conf if you have things modular and insist on it).

Why can't I just copy my tweaked file to the distributions /var/lib/alsa directory so that it is default after the system is installed? Would the alsa system somehow "find out" that it isn't the real one, and just overwrite it with it's own default settings, even if the soundcard type is the same?

However, I also have the problem that in some of the machines that this distro is installed to there is several PCI sound cards of the same type. I see then that the tweaked configuration for the first card is kept upon reboot, but that for the second one (just trying to replicate the settings of the first one) is overwritten. Why?

Helge F.