Re: Distributing alsa-settings

On 17-04-08 20:41, Helge Fredriksen wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

>     Set the desired default settings for the card on one system and then
>     do a "alsactl store" once. This will create an /etc/asound.state
>     file (or a file you specify with the -f parameter) which you can
>     restore from with "alsactl restore" which you'd do from an init
>     script (or an "install" trigger from modprobe.conf if you have
>     things modular and insist on it).
>

> Why can't I just copy my tweaked file to the distributions /var/lib/alsa
> directory so that it is default after the system is installed? Would the
> alsa system somehow "find out" that it isn't the real one, and just
> overwrite it with it's own default settings, even if the soundcard type
> is the same?

There is no /var/lib/alsa on my own system. If your distribution stores a
defaults asound.state file in /var/lib/alsa and restores from it on bootup
(-f parameter to alsactl) or some such that's fully distribution dependent.

Check the manpage for your install of alsactl which should document the
default location it's compiled for. I'd personally in fact probably set
things up so that I'd have my default file off in /usr/share/alsa somewhere
and on bootup restore from alsactl's default location (/etc/asound.state, or
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state, or wherever) if it exist and fall back to the
default file only if it doesn't. But that's all easily arranged through a
bootup script and fully free form.

> However, I also have the problem that in some of the machines that this
> distro is installed to there is several PCI sound cards of the same
> type. I see then that the tweaked configuration for the first card is
> kept upon reboot, but that for the second one (just trying to replicate
> the settings of the first one) is overwritten. Why?

If you do a "alsactl store" then (if I remember correctly -- I currently
don't have a machine around with multiple cards of the same type installed)
the generated state file will have entries fot state.<id>, state.<id>_1,
state.<id>_2 and so on (for <id> the id of the card) and alsactl restore
would restore to them all. So make sure the state file is complete for these
machines with multiple card instances.

Rene.