Re: Newbie question - cannot get sound to work in Ubuntu

On Friday 14 March 2008 23:14, Peter Toye wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> I've had a play, and have another problem, which I'd already found before,
> but hoped it would go away. When I try using aplay or arecord I get this
> error message:
>
> $ arecord -d 30 -f cd -t wav test1.wav
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:769:(parse_card) cannot find card '�g_driver'
> ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver
> returned error: No such device ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat)
> error evaluating strings ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate)
> function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device ALSA lib
> confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
> ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
> returned error: No such device ALSA lib conf.c:3982:(snd_config_expand)
> Evaluate error: No such device ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate)
> Unknown PCM default
> arecord: main:545: audio open error: No such device
> $
>
> I can't say I'm surprised it can't find a driver with such an odd name.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter

Hi Peter. I'm a bit lost as to your
problem. One thing I did see on the file you posted to pastebin was this.

User specific config file (/home/ptoye/.asoundrc)

# ALSA library configuration file

# Include settings that are under the control of asoundconf(1).
# (To disable these settings, comment out this line.)
</home/ptoye/.asoundrc.asoundconf>

In most cases an .asoundrc file is not necessary. I'd suggest renaming it
to .asoundrc.old, or whatever, then rebooting, and logging in again, and see
if anything has changed.

It's strange that you have problems with alsamixer, in having to type
alsamixer -c 1 to get it to open the default, and also the problems with
aplay, and arecord. All three are part of the alsa-utils package, and could
be that your 1.0.14 one is faulty. I'd suggest upgrading both alsa-lib, and
alsa-utils to version 1.0.16.

You can get the latest 1.0.16 versions from:
http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

You will need to install the development package for the libncurses pkg you
have installed,  "before installing alsa-utils pkg", as alsamixer in
alsa-utils will need it, to build properly.

I'd install the alsa-libs pkg first, followed by alsa-utils.

The install after unpacking the tarball, and cd'ing to the newly created
directory, follows the usual.
./configure
make
sudo make install

You probably know all that install stuff, but just in case.

All the best.

Nigel.