Re: Newbie question - cannot get sound to work in Ubuntu

James,

Thanks. My comments are below.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:alsa@xxxxxxxxx
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------
Sunday, March 2, 2008, 11:52:57 PM, you wrote:

>> I'm a bit confused about the rest of your comment. The only file called
>> devfs is a directory which has two subdirectories, neither of which
>> seems to have anything interesting in it (one is empty). And I can't
>> find a file called snddevices anywhere, but might have mistyped (I'm not
>> currently on the Linux machine and can't get to it to check up).

> In the alsa-driver package (alsa-project.org) there's a script named
> snddevices. It's in the root path of that tarball. Basically it creates
> the devices your drivers/applications need to access to do sound. Many
> distros set this up for you if you install the needed packages. But
> assuming a more basic LFS approach, you need to set them up yourself. You
> seem to be missing those devices. Hence the snd_ctl_open error.
Not sure what you mean by LFS. Don't forget I'm a Linux newbie.

> ls -al /dev/* | grep -i "audio" | wc -l
> 23
I get 25 here. Would a list help? None of them is called "default".

> lsmod | grep -i "snd" | wc -l
> 21
I get 23 here, which I think I posted in an earlier mail.

> That's what mine lists.  Various /dev/ devices.

> /dev/mixer*
> /dev/sequencer*
> /dev/dsp*
> /dev/audio*

> If devfs or udev didn't create these for you, then you're left with the old mknod methods.  Which the script alsa-driver/snddevices uses to create the devices.

> pgrep udev
> pgrep devfs
> (if you don't get a pid number, then it's not> )

udev is running, devfs isn't. Are they both needed? I can't even find a man
page for devfs. There's a file /etc/devfs which just has two directories in
it: conf.d and devices.d. conf.d has one file: nvidia-kernel-ufc which
doesn't look useful, and devices.d is empty.

> Otherwise you may just need to:

> apt-get install alsa alsa-base
> (and various other alsa* packages.)
I did this earlier to clean out anything left by my attaching the USB card.
(I have a nasty feeling that the mail that I mentioned this in is awaiting
the attention of the mods, as I attached the asound.state file which is a
bit big.) Can't see much point in doing it again! Unless you can.

> Or run the snddevices script.

> find / -iname '*snddevice*'
Not on my machine. This of course may be the problem.

> HTH
As you can see, a bit. But it's a bit uphill.