Re: Newbie question - cannot get sound to work in Ubuntu

On Tuesday 04 March 2008 11:40, Peter Toye wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> Thanks again. I wasn't trying to imply that you weren't helping, just
> asking whether people who really know what's going on inside Alsa look at
> the messages.
>
> Anyway, I tried your suggestion and it recreated asound.state. Exactly the
> same as the previous one (diff gives no changes), and alsamixer gives the
> same error message. By the way, the USB sound card is disconnected, so
> that's not what's messing things up.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter

Hi Peter. I've spent most of the afternoon (as I have nothing better to do)
googling your problem, and there are a few things you can try. First though,
do you have a live cd of Gutsy Gibbon, or Knoppix that you can bootup with,
and see if you have the sounds working?

Now moving on to my googling stuff.

1: Your audigy live card (circa 2000/1) is presumably a plugin PCI card, and
not an onboard one. Yes? I ask because I wondered if you were using a Dell
machine, and know that Dell have audigy live cards on some of their mobo's,
which use the snd-emu10k1x driver, rather than the snd-emu10k1 one.

2: If your audigy live card is a plugin PCI one, do you also have an onboard
soundcard on your machine? Again, I ask because I saw a reference to
snd-via82xx in /etc/modprobe.d in one of your replies. Have a look in your
BIOS, to see if you can disable the onboard card if it exists. I have an
onboard card on the machine that has the audigy2 soundblaster, but physically
disabled it with jumpers on the mobo. Would you provide the output of lspci
-v. Just the stuff for soundcards will be enough.

It was also suggested to reinstall the libasound5 package, and someone got
their sound working after doing that. I looked on my Dapper install which has
libasound2. Don't try to remove it, then reinstall it, as it want's to remove
half the OS. In Synaptic, just do a reinstall of libasound5, which doesn't
mess with any other installed packages.

I think that alsaconf is being deprecated, and personally havn't had to run it
for ages, but if it is available on Gutsy Gibbon, it may be worth running it,
and setting up your soundcard again, as below. (something someone else
suggested while googling)
sudo alsaconf

Do you have pulseaudio installed on Gutsy Gibbon? I don't think it's installed
as default, but is default on my F8 install, and caused sound problems for
me. If it is installed, to disable it, you only have to remove the package
"alsa-plugins-pulseaudio". With it enabled, it disables alsamixer, but saying
that, when trying to start alsamixer, the errors specifically mention
pulseaudio, and not like your errors.

Alsamixer when opened shows the default card (card0), but have a look at the
manpages for alsamixer. I now open these in a webbrowser as man:alsamixer.
To start alsamixer for other cards you have the -c option. For example,
alsamixer -c0  brings up the default cards mixer settings.
alsamixer -c1 brings up the mixer settings for card 1, and so on.

That's enough for now. Quite why you're having such problems with an emu10k1
based card I don't know. I've used my audigy2 soundblaster since Fedora core1
(2003), and apart from having to set options for my usb midi keyboard
in /etc/modprobe.conf have had no problems.

All a bit puzzling.

Be nice to see your problem resolved though.

Nigel.