Re: Newbie question - cannot get sound to work in Ubuntu

Nigel,

Thanks. My comments are below.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:alsa@xxxxxxxxx
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

> Hi Peter. I've spent most of the afternoon (as I have nothing better to do)
> googling your problem, and there are a few things you can try. First though,
> do you have a live cd of Gutsy Gibbon, or Knoppix that you can bootup with,
> and see if you have the sounds working?
That's very kind of you to take so much time.

I booted up from a live Gutsy Gibbon CD (the one I used to create my
system) and it's quite interesting. Typing "alsamixer" in a terminal
session brings up the mixer OK! But with a seriously confusing set of
controls, only some of which seem to have much connection with the sound
card. And the "line in" column in the "capture" view doesn't have a fader
associated, which seems a bit odd. Maybe there's something I don't
understand here.

And I can use the GNOME utilities to record and play back. Didn't have time
to try the command-line versions. Won't have time until Friday at the
earliest.

> Now moving on to my googling stuff.

> 1: Your audigy live card (circa 2000/1) is presumably a plugin PCI card, and
> not an onboard one. Yes? I ask because I wondered if you were using a Dell
> machine, and know that Dell have audigy live cards on some of their mobo's,
> which use the snd-emu10k1x driver, rather than the snd-emu10k1 one.

It's a Creative Labs, not Audigy (does this make a difference - I doubt
it?) model CT4830. Totally unsupported now, of course. It's not Dell - the
late lamented Dan (an excellent UK-based PC builder who went broke by
offering real service and couldn't afford it).

> 2: If your audigy live card is a plugin PCI one, do you also have an onboard
> soundcard on your machine? Again, I ask because I saw a reference to
> snd-via82xx in /etc/modprobe.d in one of your replies. Have a look in your
> BIOS, to see if you can disable the onboard card if it exists. I have an
> onboard card on the machine that has the audigy2 soundblaster, but physically
> disabled it with jumpers on the mobo. Would you provide the output of lspci
> -v. Just the stuff for soundcards will be enough.

No onboard sound. I disabled the (nonexistent) AC97 audio in the BIOS, but
it didn't make any difference. There's no hardware disable - the jumpers
don't exist on this model of mobo.

lspci -v output:
00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs CT4830 SBLive! Value
        I/O ports at d400 [size=32]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

00:0b.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 07)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs Gameport Joystick
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=8]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

> It was also suggested to reinstall the libasound5 package, and someone got
> their sound working after doing that. I looked on my Dapper install which has
> libasound2. Don't try to remove it, then reinstall it, as it want's to remove
> half the OS. In Synaptic, just do a reinstall of libasound5, which doesn't
> mess with any other installed packages.

Will take some time - the machine's not connected to the Internet! I don't
have libasound5, just libasound2.

> I think that alsaconf is being deprecated, and personally havn't had to run it
> for ages, but if it is available on Gutsy Gibbon, it may be worth running it,
> and setting up your soundcard again, as below. (something someone else
> suggested while googling)
> sudo alsaconf
alsaconf: command not found. So presumably not there.

> Do you have pulseaudio installed on Gutsy Gibbon? I don't think it's installed
> as default, but is default on my F8 install, and caused sound problems for
> me. If it is installed, to disable it, you only have to remove the package
> "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio". With it enabled, it disables alsamixer, but saying
> that, when trying to start alsamixer, the errors specifically mention
> pulseaudio, and not like your errors.

Not installed.

> Alsamixer when opened shows the default card (card0), but have a look at the
> manpages for alsamixer. I now open these in a webbrowser as man:alsamixer.
> To start alsamixer for other cards you have the -c option. For example,
> alsamixer -c0  brings up the default cards mixer settings.
> alsamixer -c1 brings up the mixer settings for card 1, and so on.
If I type alsamixer -c0 the mixer comes up with the same options as the CD
boot (see above). I thought that -c0 was the default, but it doesn't seem to
be.

> That's enough for now. Quite why you're having such problems with an emu10k1
> based card I don't know. I've used my audigy2 soundblaster since Fedora core1
> (2003), and apart from having to set options for my usb midi keyboard
> in /etc/modprobe.conf have had no problems.

> All a bit puzzling.
Agreed. Or maybe I'm just doing something silly - is there a beginner's
guide to ALSA anywhere? The wiki goes into gory detail far too quickly.

> Be nice to see your problem resolved though.
This is meant to be (but is not) a spare time activity for me, just to have
a look at Linux (not too positive at the moment) and to see if I can use it
to record from the hi-fi. It's not critical, and if I can't get it to work
I'll either put Windows back or give the machine to a charity. And someone
in darkest Africa (or wherever) can play with it.