Re: Newbie question - cannot get sound to work in Ubuntu

> Anyway, I tried your suggestion and it
> recreated asound.state. Exactly the same
> as the previous one (diff gives no changes),
> and alsamixer gives the same error message.
> By the way, the USB sound card is disconnected,
> so that's not what's messing things up.

Some distros do the alsactl save as part of the shutdown sequence(/etc/rc?.d/K*).  If it doesn't then once you deleted asound.state, it should not be recreated.  Not until you run alsactl save.  At least that's how it works in debian.  I know this because if asound.state exists, then it doesn't restore the mixer settings that were set and saved in some other mixer like aumix.  YMMV

I still think you're missing the /dev/'s though.  Or maybe you just need the /etc/modprobe.d/ configuration.  Multiple cards can be tricky.  From what I've gathered, most of your errors are cannot open device, or device does not exist.  If you can't get past that, they you probably wont be able to do anything with that device.

I have different cards, but this is how I set mine up.  Usb audio does require usb support.  And I've been configuring mine custom-ish for a while.  There's probably an alsaconf in the alsa-utils package that sets this stuff up for you.  But I never got it to work for me back in the day.  So I almost always set things up long hand.  Fortunately with usb sticks, that's just a cp or cut and paste away.

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa_custom

#*******************************

alias   char-major-116      snd
alias   char-major-14       soundcore

options snd                 major=116       cards_limit=4
options snd-atiixp          index=0
options snd-atiixp-modem    index=1
options snd-usb-audio       index=2
options snd-usb-audio       index=3

alias   snd-card-0          snd-atiixp
alias   sound-slot-0        snd-card-0
alias   sound-service-0-0   snd-mixer-oss
alias   sound-service-0-1   snd-seq-oss
alias   sound-service-0-3   snd-pcm-oss
alias   sound-service-0-8   snd-seqr-oss
alias   sound-service-0-12  snd-pcm-oss

alias   snd-card-1          snd-atiixp-modem
alias   sound-slot-1        snd-card-1
alias   sound-service-1-0   snd-mixer-oss
alias   sound-service-1-1   snd-seq-oss
alias   sound-service-1-3   snd-pcm-oss
alias   sound-service-1-8   snd-seqr-oss
alias   sound-service-1-12  snd-pcm-oss

alias   snd-card-2          snd-usb-audio
alias   sound-slot-2        snd-card-2
alias   sound-service-2-0   snd-mixer-oss
alias   sound-service-2-1   snd-seq-oss
alias   sound-service-2-3   snd-pcm-oss
alias   sound-service-2-8   snd-seqr-oss
alias   sound-service-2-12  snd-pcm-oss

alias   snd-card-3          snd-usb-audio
alias   sound-slot-3        snd-card-3
alias   sound-service-3-0   snd-mixer-oss
alias   sound-service-3-1   snd-seq-oss
alias   sound-service-3-3   snd-pcm-oss
alias   sound-service-3-8   snd-seqr-oss
alias   sound-service-3-12  snd-pcm-oss

# *******************************

/home/user/.asoundrc

# *******************************

pcm.atiixp {
   type hw
   card 0
}
ctl.atiixp {
   type hw
   card 0
}

pcm.atiixp_modem {
   type hw
   card 1
}
ctl.atiixp_modem {
   type hw
   card 1
}

pcm.usb_audio2 {
   type hw
   card 2
}
ctl.usb_audio2 {
   type hw
   card 2
}

pcm.usb_audio3 {
   type hw
   card 3
}
ctl.usb_audio3 {
   type hw
   card 3
}

defaults.pcm.card 0

This is good enough to use the cards and have their drivers autoload when you try to use them.  If I want alsa native apps to use the non zero card, then I mearly change the number on the defaults.pcm.card line.  OSS type apps will almost always default to 0, unless you use aoss.  Not that much of an issue since you can always change the index numbering to make whatever device be device 0.  The asoundrc defaults line is just a lot fewer lines to change, and doesn't require restarting alsa.  /etc/init.d/alsasound stop|start

Not that you have go the defaults route.  Many existing apps let you specify which card to use.  By either it's hardware number or it's asoundrc label.  $ mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw:0 (or device=atiixp).  -D hw:0 for arecord.  -d, or -C or -P for jackd.  And various gui preferences to help you utilize secondary cards and friends.

HTH