Re: RME AES-32 questions

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> John Sigler wrote:
>
>> I have an RME AES-32 PCI board.
>> http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_aes32.php
>>
>> When I boot, every channel has its volume set to 0.
>>
>> http://lxr.linux.no/linux/sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c#L3396
>> http://lxr.linux.no/linux/sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c#L965
>>
>> Apparently, it's not the board's firmware, it's the device driver
>> which mutes every channel at initialization.
>>
>> Does anybody know why this is done?
>
> It was done to protect one's ears.

Could you expand on your explanation?

Intuitively, I would have initialized every input channel and output
channel to "leave the signal as is" (what you refer to as 0 dB).

>> I used amixer to change the volume.
>>
>> Simple mixer control 'Chn',1
>>   Capabilities: volume volume-joined
>>   Playback channels: Mono
>>   Capture channels: Mono
>>   Limits: 0 - 65536
>>   Mono: 32768 [50%]
>>
>> What is the meaning of the level?
>> Does 100% mean the signal is left unmodified?
>> and 50% means the amplitude is multiplied by 0.50?
>>
>> http://lxr.linux.no/linux/sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c#L377
>>
>> #define UNITY_GAIN 32768
>> #define MINUS_INFINITY_GAIN 0
>>
>> So, volume = 32768 means "leave the signal as is" and volume = 0
>> means "mute the channel". Is that correct?
>>
>> What would volume = 16384 and volume = 49152 mean?
>> (What is the scale?)
>
> There is no scale there.
> It can have a range of value between 0 and 65536
> 32768 being about 50% of 65536.

As a matter of fact, 32768 is exactly 50% of 65536, but I'm not sure I
understand the point you're making. The driver source code seems to
imply that 32768 is special in that it is named UNITY_GAIN. That would
seem to indicate that this volume level corresponds to 0 dB, wouldn't it?

> Now that we have these dB gain levels, we could potentially set all
> mixer controls to 0dB, i.e. not gain and not attenuation, with only
> the master output control being set to a lower value so as to avoid
> ears breaking.

I don't know where the master output control is. Do you see it in the
outputs of 'amixer' or 'amixer contents' I provided in one of my

Regards.