Re: Newbie question - cannot get sound to work in Ubuntu

On Sunday 02 March 2008 14:53, Peter Toye wrote:
> James,
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> I am a member of the audio group, so problem there. The sound modules seem
> to be loaded OK.
>
> The relevant bit of the output from lsmod is:
> $ lsmod |grep snd
> snd_emu10k1_synth       8192  0
> snd_emux_synth         35456  1 snd_emu10k1_synth
> snd_seq_virmidi         8064  1 snd_emux_synth
> snd_seq_midi_emul       7680  1 snd_emux_synth
> snd_emu10k1           137248  2 snd_emu10k1_synth
> snd_ac97_codec        100644  1 snd_emu10k1
> ac97_bus                3200  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss            44672  0
> snd_mixer_oss          17664  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                80388  3 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_page_alloc         11400  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
> snd_util_mem            5760  2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
> snd_hwdep              10244  2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
> snd_seq_dummy           4740  0
> snd_seq_oss            33152  0
> snd_seq_midi            9600  0
> snd_rawmidi            25728  3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq_midi_event      8448  3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq                53232  9
> snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,
>snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event snd_timer              24324  3
> snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device          9228  8
> snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_
>seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq snd                    54660  15
> snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_m
>ixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq
>_device soundcore               8800  1 snd
> $
>
> So that looks OK.

> Peter

Hi Peter. Your lsmod looks ok, and from your previous post /proc/asound/cards
only shows one soundcard, so it's not like you have problems like I have,
with also having a usb midi keyboard plugged in when booting. That said I
know the workaround for that, so it's no problem for me.

I have a bunch of distros installed, and have just booted up Kubuntu (Dapper,
upgraded from Breezy). Which Ubuntu version are you using?

I have an Audigy2 soundblaster (emu10k1) , so the card is more or less the
same as yours. I can't remember if there were any problems with getting the
sounds working though. I'm puzzled why you have no alsamixer, when trying to
start it on the CLI. The 3 Alsa packages that should be installed are
alsa-base, alsa-utils, and libasound2. Alsa-utils contains the alsamixer,
amongst other stuff.

I looked back through my history files to see what I installed post installing
Kubuntu. The only 2 relevant packages are alsa-oss, and dialog, but I don't
think alsamixer uses dialog to display itself. I think it uses ncurses. it
may be worth a look to see if you have the dialog, and ncurses packages
installed. For ncurses, the packages are "ncurses-base", and "ncurses-bin".

Also have a look in /var/lib/alsa. The mixer settings are saved in a file
named asound.state. The file should exist for alsamixer to display the
settings.

The commands alsactl restore, and alsactl store, are the ones to use to
restore, and store mixer settings if the asound.state file exists
in /var/lib/alsa

Can't think of anything else to look for at the moment.

Nigel.

btw. From googling, a saw problems with sound on Gutsy Gibbon, but IIRC, they
were to do with hda-intel based soundcards.