Re: Getting a driver to support alsa natively

On Sun, 2008-01-06 02:39:48 +0200, Sergei Steshenko <steshenko_sergei@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 00:24:11 +0000
> James Courtier-Dutton <James@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> > > Please file a bug - otherwise ALSA programmers will continue writing code
> > > which does not print full paths to files it tries to open.
> > What is the problem?  Just use:
> > strace aplay -L 2>&1 |grep open
> >
> > That will list all files being opened.
>
> The problem is the word "all" - I wanna see just the failing ones.

strace aplay -L 2>&1 | grep open | grep ENOENT

> And, IIRC, earlier in this or similar thread was stated that
> 'strace' wasn't working for ARM plarform.

That's the actual problem.

However, when I'm doing MIPS or VAX work, which I, too, do mostly with
NFS root, there are a number of other solutions.

You can sniff the network traffic (tcpdump/wireshark) to see what the
client box is doing, or you can (this requires userspace NFS server
instead of the faster kernel NFS server) strace the NFS server
program.

Specifically for a NFS server that's handling development clients, I'd
really suggest you to install the userland NFS server and strace it.
That's a really easy solution to a lot of problems!

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:  The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty