Getting a driver to support alsa natively

Apologies for the cross-posting, but I haven't had a clear answer (or
any answer) to this in nearly a week of asking, and I see at least one
other person cross compiling a driver they've written seems to having
the same issue, so I want to try to get some answers.

I have written a driver - snd-aica for sound on a Sega Dreamcast. This
is a legacy device, not PCI or anything like that, so it's a Platform
device.

It works very well with the oss emulation, so I assume it correctly handles PCM.

But I get this:

$ aplay -l
card 0: AICA [AICA], device 0: AICA PCM [AICA PCM]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ aplay -L
null

and as a result nothing plays:

$ aplay -d:hw0,0 /aine-email.wav
Playing WAVE '/aine-email.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
ALSA lib pcm_plug.c:773:(snd_pcm_plug_hw_refine_schange) Unable to
find an usable access for '(null)'
aplay: set_params:895: Access type not available

all the relevant files for an ordinary alsa install are about:

$ pwd
/usr/share/alsa
$ ls -l
-rw-r--r--    1 default  default      8611 Jan  3 23:45 alsa.conf
drwxr-xr-x    3 default  default      4096 Jan  3 23:45 cards
drwxr-xr-x    2 default  default      4096 Jan  3 23:45 pcm
-rw-r--r--    1 default  default       132 Jan  3 23:45 smixer.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 default  default      3205 Jan  3 23:45 sndo-mixer.alisp
drwxr-xr-x    2 default  default      4096 Jan  2 20:26 speaker-test

But there are no configuration files for this device. And alsaconf
does not detect it - but then it's not PnP so that is no surprise.

In common with a typical embedded device the Dreamcast has a not very
sophisticated setup - built using an nfs-root mount and
busybox/buildroot.

What configuration files am I required to have to get alsa to work?
It's a fairly simple question I would have thought... how do I create
them and where do I put them?