Re: Getting a driver to support alsa natively

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 00:24:11 +0000
James Courtier-Dutton <James@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 22:13:59 +0000

> >> Given this is nfs-root, the only realistic way is to hack the sources
> >> and find out what the path is. I am happy to do that, especially if
> >> someone indicates which function/file I should start with?
> >>

> > Please file a bug - otherwise ALSA programmers will continue writing code
> > which does not print full paths to files it tries to open.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >   Sergei.
> >

> What is the problem?  Just use:
> strace aplay -L 2>&1 |grep open
>
> That will list all files being opened.

The problem is the word "all" - I wanna see just the failing ones.

And, IIRC, earlier in this or similar thread was stated that
'strace' wasn't working for ARM plarform.

My background is VLSI. I'm just wondering about the fate of big
vendors like SYNOPSYS or Cadence telling their customers:

"What's the problem ? Just run our simulation or synthesis or layout
tool with 'strace'".

Its not that the above vendors; software is bugless, but WRT printing
file names they definitely show respect for their customers.

Regards,
  Sergei.