Re: Best supported cards?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Tom Lanyon wrote:

> On 27/12/2007, at 2:49 AM, Chris Stranex wrote:
>
>> Take a look at the M-Audio range of PCI cards.
>>
>> I think all of them have S/PDIF In and Out and they are supported by
>> ALSA. The Audiophile range are pretty cheap but good quality (I don't
>> have one but I've heard they are good)
>>
>> Otherwise as Jeremy suggested, the E-MU range is also pretty well
>> supported by ALSA (apart from the USB cards if I remember correctly)
>> and will be similar to the M-Audio range.
>

> The M-Audio range look good but only have a coax SPDIF, none of them
> have optical/toslink. I'm worried about interference on a coax cable
> back behind the receivers and would prefer an optical cable.

5 years ago the maudio transit (a usb card)  already had an optical link. Not sure how
well it works(I recall at least one complaint but do not know how it
resolved) , but it is there. The card itself is very good for the analog
output-- never tried the toslink, but then it is just a straight digital
translation so not sure what could go wrong.
Not sure why you would worry about interference, since the noise would have
to be pretty high to start swamping the digital signal.

Note that inside a computer is probably the worst place to put an audio
card-- chock full of electronic interference. I think in principle a usb
card is a far better, but of course practice conquors principle aways.