Re: Best supported cards?

I bought the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card based upon recommendations on
this mailing list several years ago. Some people seem to have it working
fine, but despite days of trying to configure it, I have never gotten it to
work to it's full potential.

If you understand the intricacies of sound in Linux, you probably stand a good
chance of getting it to work well. Just don't expect to plug the card in and
have everything work.

Someday I will take a few weeks and see if I can follow the source code and
read all the manuals for everything sound related in Linux. Until then I will
just live with the problems.

Here's what I have not been able to get to work:
Full duplex,
Recording in Audacity without introducing clicks into the captured audio,
Getting Audacity to play without a few second delay and a bunch of clicks and
pops,
Getting Baudline to actually generate a tone,
Getting xdemorse configured to recognize the sound card
and getting various sound applications to actually share the card nicely.

I have never even tried the S/PDIF I/O, so don't know if or how well it works.

If you do get an Audiophile 2496 and get it working please document what you
have done and post it. For me and a few others who don't understand all there
is to know about sound in Linux, a how-to on this card would be most welcome.

Darrell

--
Darrell Bellerive
Amateur Radio Stations VA7TO and VE7CLA