Re: Problems with INTEL audio card

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Sunday 25 November 2007 11:28, Wolfgang P. Rauchholz wrote:

When booting the computer , sometimes the sound works and sometimes not.
I run FC8 on a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 1425 Laptop.
I ran Ububtu and sounds works with no problem. Also under Windows works
sound fine.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang. If the laptops sound is ok with Ubuntu, that's a good start. Was
that a live Ubuntu cd, or Ubuntu installed on the laptop. I ask because
sometimes live cd's are better at setting things up, than installed distro's.

It was Ubuntu installed on the laptop. Unbuntu 7.x
Back to F8, which I've recently installed. F8 now has pulseaudio installed,
and I've seen a lot of problems with it on the Fedora list. When I tried to
play a cdrom, I got a permission denied, so removed a couple of pulseaudio
packages that resolved the problem, as below.
yum remove kde-settings-pulseaudio alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

I had the same behavior in FC6/FC7, for pulse audio is not the root cause I believe.
What puzzles me, that it seems to be a non-systematic pattern. I sometimes works, sometimes not. Right now it is working and I am listening to music.
Now that may not be your problem, but it's worth keeping in mind.

I also have problems with my usb midi keyboard, which uses snd-usb-audio. More
often than not when booting up snd-usb-audio is set as sound card 0, and the
actual soundcard (especially if /etc/modprobe.conf lists it as card 0 , and
indexed as 0) ends up not being loaded at all.

Setting indexing options for the various cards resolves this problem. With
that in mind, would you post the contents of /etc/modprobe.conf, and also the
output of /sbin/lsusb. The output of cat /proc/asound/cards may be usefull as
well , for when the sound is working , and not working.

/etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 8139too
alias scsi_hostadapter libata
alias scsi_hostadapter1 ata_piix
alias eth1 ipw2200
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                      Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with VIA1612A at irq 9

Will you download and run this script below. It provides a lot of info about
the sound setup on your distro. You will have to make it executable before
running it. It will send the output to pastebin. Paste the link to the
pastebin file in your reply.
http://bulletproof.servebeer.com/alsa/scripts/alsa-info.sh

I'm not too clued up on a lot of Alsa problems, but try to offer suggestions
where I can.

  1. ################################
  2. ALSA Information Script v 0.4.34
  3. ################################
  4.
  5. Script ran on: Sun Nov 25 19:05:56 CET 2007
  6.
  7.
  8. Linux Distribution
  9. ------------------
  10.
  11. Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
  12.
  13.
  14. Kernel Information
  15. ------------------
  16.
  17. Kernel release:    2.6.23.1-49.fc8
  18. Operating System:  GNU/Linux
  19. Architecture:      i686
  20. Processor:         i686
  21. SMP Enabled:       Yes
  22.
  23.
  24. ALSA Version
  25. ------------
  26.
  27. Driver version:     1.0.15
  28. Library version:
  29. Utilities version:  1.0.15
  30.
  31.
  32. Loaded ALSA modules
  33. -------------------
  34.
  35. snd_intel8x0
  36.
  37.
  38. Soundcards recognised by ALSA
  39. -----------------------------
  40.
  41. 0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
  42.                      Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with VIA1612A at irq 9
  43.
  44.
  45. PCI Soundcards installed in the system
  46. --------------------------------------
  47.
  48. 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
  49.
  50.
  51. Advanced information - PCI Vendor/Device/Susbsystem ID's
  52. --------------------------------------------------------
  53.
  54. 00:1f.5 0401: 8086:24c5 (rev 03)
  55.         Subsystem: 1734:106b