Re: "best" card for "bitperfect" SPDIF I/O?with?external clock sync ?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:

> Hi Bill Unruh!
>
> On 2007.11.24 at 10:11:16 -0800, Bill Unruh wrote next:
>
> Thank you for all your responses!
>
>> That is quite normal It is in fact good hearing (although many kids can
>> hear up to 22-25 kHz). And it will get worse, especially if you like
>
> That's the main reason why I asked - I heard that people can hear 22khz
> or about that when they are young, than listening gets worse and they
> don't hear very high frequencies anymore - and since I consider myself
> still young ;), I was kind of disappointed by the fact that I can't hear
> not only 22khz, but even 20khz, and when I discovered that I can't hear
> even 18khz, I was kind if scared - is my hearing going down due to
> headphone usage? Thanks for clarifying this issue.
>
>> listening to music on your headphones. Almost all headphone users have
>> their headphones cranked up WAY to loud, and that destroys the nerve cells
>> in the ear. A bus, going up a hill, has sound levels inside of the order
>
> Hey hey, I know what's good for me ;) I only listen to headphones in
> quiet places nowadays and at comfortable volume levels.

Hey, most people have no idea what the volume levels are. If your
headphones are giving you pain they are probably at 120dB. Most people will
regard 80-90dB as "comfortable" Your ears are incredibly adaptable and will
get used to almost everything. Ie, I have zero confidence that because you
call it "comfortable" it is not loud enough to harm your ears.

>> of 80dB and in order to hear the music people crank up their heaphones to
>> 90 or 100 dB. After only a few years of that your threshold will be down to
>
> Actually there are solutions, like good in-ear noise isolation
> headphones, for example ER6 and ER4 are pretty good (though expensive) -
> http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx, with background isolation over
> -30dB. Actually I thought about using such thing when I'm outside, the
> only problem is that I think it may be too dangerous to walk in the city
> and cross the streets with such isolation. There are also active
> noise-cancelling headphones, though I'm not too fond of them.

Yes, that solves the background noise problem. It does not solve the "I
want to be immersed in the music" problem.

>> 14kHz then 8kHz then 3kHz. With any luck you will effectively be deaf by the
>> time you are 40, and can join the ranks of almost all rock musicians.
>
> It can't be that scary. You mean that all people who are listening to
> headphones in bus are going to end like this? We'll become a deaf nation
> then.

Yup.

> Nature must have thought of something to prevent this from happening.
> Or, science will help ;)

Nope. Nature is very quiet. Evidence is that people who actually live in
nature do not loose their hearing as they get older-- they keep that
ability to hear 20KHz into their 80s. You think cities are
"nature"? And science cannot regrow hair cells. There is an easy way to
prevent this from happening-- keep the volume low.