mic picking up a lot of noise

Hi,

I somehow messed up my audio settings with amixer, at least that's what I believe. Not I have the problem that my voice is really quiet when I talk into the mic, but that there is *a lot* of white noise!

This started, when I tried to record from pcm, so I googled and issued these commands:
amixer set 'Capture' cap
amixer set 'Capture' 10%
amixer set 'Mix'
amixer set 'Mix' cap

the last two command probably did not have an effect because there is no such device. I might have done some other things, like changing recording device in audacity or using arecord.

Hope anybody has a suggestion. Otherwise I might  have to reinstall kubuntu - although I don't even know whether that would fix it.

THanks!!!

Wolfgang