Re: mic picking up a lot of noise

> I somehow messed up my audio settings with
> amixer, at least that's what I believe. Not
> I have the problem that my voice is really
> quiet when I talk into the mic, but that
> there is *a lot* of white noise!

I get a lot of white noise, if I use the mic boost setting.  If you have a powered mic, it's better to use the line port.  The mic port generally has a bias voltage and is noisy by default.  If your gain is sufficient enough to not use mic boost, then try not to use it.  And make sure your mic and capture/gain settings are up high enough to accommodate what you're recording.  Alsamixer is your friend.  YMMV