maudio revolution 7.1 - ice1724 problems (sampling rate)

hello,
What is the best way to use this card, for single application at a time operation, without resampling? I am interested in best quality as I want to only use this card for music. software mixing is not important (i plan to use another soundcard as the default). Sampling rate should depend on the audio source.

MAudio Revolution 7.1
linux 2.6.23-rt1 #1 PREEMPT RT
alsa 1.0.14
debian unstable

what i've done so far:

- using it as default seems to work ok in every app (sw mixing ok) but plays at 48khz, while 44.1khz audio sounds slower than original
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 48000 (48000/1)
period_size: 1024
buffer_size: 16384
tick_time: 1000

- using hw:0,0 does not seem to work in any application. i get device busy. (also for hw:0,1 and hw:0,2)

- using plughw:Revolution71 in audacious works fine, but the value of period_size looks odd
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 4412
buffer_size: 22052
tick_time: 1000

- using plughw:Revolution71 in xine produces crackles (stops every 1-2 sec for a little)
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 4096
buffer_size: 32768
tick_time: 1000

- using xine & jack (at 44100) produces crackles (no matter what settings for frames/period & periods/buffer i've tried)
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 8
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 16
buffer_size: 96
tick_time: 1000

- using xine & jack (at 48khz) no crackles but sounds slow (using either audacious or xine)
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 8
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 16
buffer_size: 96
tick_time: 1000

The problem is with 44.1 audio and xine. It seems that it is played without crackles only with the card in 48khz but sounds slower.

I have tried setting period_size and buffer_size in asoundrc (as this is the only difference I could find between xine and audacious playng using plughw:Revolution71) but with no success.
Also the only way I could get a virtual device to work in asoundrc was using plughw as such:

pcm.rev {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm "plughw:Revolution71"