Re: dirty spectra

On Saturday 13 October 2007, Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]

>> The fall time of that computer generated sawtooth is probably 100x

[...]

>This was indeed it. Though I didn't know that a soundfile must not
>contain any sharp discontinuities, I thought that the hardware would
>filter it out. But you say this is not possible once it's digital, how
>come? Why can't you just run a soundfile through a filter to take out
>everything above nyquist? (upsampling it first, I guess)

If the file was generated via a lookup table, or a simple reset to the - rail
when the + rail is hit, then fed directly to a D/A without _any_ resampling
to get it to the D/A's fixed clock, I expect it would have worked ok, but
when it got re-sampled to make it hit the 44khz or whatever the cycle time of
the D/A is, it got eaten up badly.

>> Recalculate the sawtooth so that the fall time stays within the
>> systems bandwidth, and I'd bet a bottle of suds most of the effect
>> you are hearing will go away.  The fall time should not be less than
>> 1/frequency, answer is in seconds.
>
>Yes, I found code for bandlimited sawtooth oscillator in the Synthesis
>ToolKit which worked very well!

Is this the right place to make the obligatory comment about old age &
treachery? :-)

At 73, I have a hard time hearing some of this stuff, mainly due to whats
called 'carhart' notches in my own hearing, measured at 120+ db deep at 4khz.
That's from wearing out the first 2 rifle barrels of the 4 I've worn out over
the years, without any earmuffs.  None the less, aliasing is to my ears as
bad, or possibly worse, than fingernails on a blackboard, AKA extremely
obvious.  Running SSB radio's on chicken band is another place where aliasing
really tells you just how good the radios filters are.  That makes the best
ear training to ident the effect ever invented.  Any leakage of the opposite
sideband makes it pretty unpleasant.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)