dirty spectra

I'm having problems with distorted sound with ALSA. It's not clipping
distortion but more like a dirty spectra.
The test I am doing is playing a pure 440Hz sawtooth wave, and the sound
is very unclean, there's inharmonic partitials that shouldn't be there,
actually below the fundamental frequency I think. Compared to an analog
sawtooth oscillator it sounds really awful.

Here's the detailed tests I have been doing:

Sound sources: (440Hz sawtooth with 0.8 amplitude created in Audacity)
• saw44.wav: 16 bit, mono 44100 Hz
• saw48.wav: 16 bit, mono 48000 Hz

These files were played with aplay on two machines and three different
soundcards:

Machine 1
• Kernel 2.6.22.7
• ALSA drivers 1.0.14
• ALSA library 1.0.13 and 1.0.15rc3
• USB Soundcard Terratec Phase 26
• Internal Soundcard HDA-Intel - HDA VIA VT82xx

Machine 2
• Kernel 2.6.14.3
• ALSA drivers 1.0.10rc1
• ALSA library 1.0.10
• USB Soundcard Terratec Phase 26
• Internal Soundcard Intel 82801CA-ICH3 with AD1886A

I also tried a custom JACK client that produced a sawtooth in realtime
on machine 1 with Terratec Phase 26.
The results is the same inharmonic distortion in all tests.
--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]