Re: SB Live 24 bit External

I just subscribed so I apologize for not threading the email properly.

Michael, this is how I set up my .asoundrc.  Note that I also fiddled
around with the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file to get it to show up as
default / card 0.  It produces the 5.1 sound properly using a 6
channel test wave file.  I had to redirect the channels to get them
routing properly.

In order to control the volumes individually, I think you need to use
the softvol plugin:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Softvol

pcm.snd_card {
     type hw
     card 0 # change to your cards number or name
}

# 6 channel dmix:
pcm.dmix6 {
     type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        ipc_key_add_uid false # let multiple users share
        ipc_perm 0660 # IPC permissions (octal, default 0600)
        slave {
                pcm snd_card # see below
                rate 44100
                channels 6
                period_time 0
                period_size 2048 # try 2048 against skipping
                buffer_time 0
                buffer_size 5120 # in case of problems reduce this
                                 # in case of skipping, try increasing
        }
        bindings {
            0 0
            1 1
            2 4
            3 5
            4 2
            5 3
        }
     }

# upmixing:
pcm.ch51dup {
        type route
        slave.pcm dmix6
        slave.channels 6

        ttable.0.0 0.75
        ttable.1.1 0.75
        ttable.0.2 0.75
        ttable.1.3 0.75
        ttable.0.4 0.375
        ttable.1.4 0.375
        ttable.0.5 0.375
        ttable.1.5 0.375
   }

pcm.duplex {
     type asym
     playback.pcm "ch51dup" # upmix first
#     playback.pcm "dmix6"  # just pass to 6 channel dmix
     capture.pcm "hw:0"
}

# change default device:
pcm.!default {