Re: SB Live 24 bit External

I just subscribed and I saw someone post about this device, which is
what I seem to be having problems with.

I'm trying to get AC3 passthrough to work with this device (also
tried the Turtle Beach micro Advantage USB adaptor) and am unable to
figure out how to get it to work. Using mplayer, stock /etc/
asound.conf on Fedora 7 with a command like this:

mplayer <some ac3 movie>.avi -ao alsa -ac hwac3,

I get what seems to be all the background channels through my stereo
but none of the primary channels.

If I do this:
mplayer <some ac3 movie>.avi -ao alsa

I get all the sound down mixed to 2 channel PCM.

When I had my old machine with built in spdif, I was able to use
iecset, but the SB Live 24 bit External reports
control "IEC958 Playback Default" not found
when trying to use iecset.

I've attached the lsusb -v as someone suggest in a previous post

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tarun

Bus 004 Device 003: ID 041e:3040 Creative Technology, Ltd
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               1.10
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0         8
   idVendor           0x041e Creative Technology, Ltd
   idProduct          0x3040
   bcdDevice            1.00
   iManufacturer           1 Creative Technology
   iProduct                2 SB Live! 24-bit External
   iSerial                 0
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength          979
     bNumInterfaces          3
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0x80
     MaxPower              308mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Control Device
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                10
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (HEADER)
         bcdADC               1.00
         wTotalLength           76
         bInCollection           2
         baInterfaceNr( 0)       1
         baInterfaceNr( 1)       2
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             1
         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bNrChannels             6
         wChannelConfig     0x003f
           Left Front (L)
           Right Front (R)
           Center Front (C)
           Low Freqency Enhancement (LFE)
           Left Surround (LS)
           Right Surround (RS)
         iChannelNames           0
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                14
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      6 (FEATURE_UNIT)
         bUnitID                 2
         bSourceID               1
         bControlSize            1
         bmaControls( 0)      0x03
           Mute
           Volume
         bmaControls( 1)      0x00
         bmaControls( 2)      0x00
         bmaControls( 3)      0x00
         bmaControls( 4)      0x00
         bmaControls( 5)      0x00
         bmaControls( 6)      0x00
         iFeature                0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             3
         wTerminalType      0x0301 Speaker
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bSourceID               2
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             4
         wTerminalType      0x0603 Line Connector
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bNrChannels             2
         wChannelConfig     0x0003
           Left Front (L)
           Right Front (R)
         iChannelNames           0
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                10
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      6 (FEATURE_UNIT)
         bUnitID                 5
         bSourceID               4
         bControlSize            1
         bmaControls( 0)      0x02
           Volume
         bmaControls( 1)      0x00
         bmaControls( 2)      0x00
         iFeature                0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             6
         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bSourceID               5
         iTerminal               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
         bInterval              10
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       1
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           1
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                11
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           2
         bBitResolution         16
         bSamFreqType            1 Discrete
         tSamFreq[ 0]        44100
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
         bmAttributes            9
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               Adaptive
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x00b4  1x 180 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       2
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           1
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                11
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           3
         bBitResolution         24
         bSamFreqType            1 Discrete
         tSamFreq[ 0]        44100
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
         bmAttributes            9
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               Adaptive
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x010e  1x 270 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       3
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           1
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                11
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             4
         bSubframeSize           2
         bBitResolution         16
         bSamFreqType            1 Discrete
         tSamFreq[ 0]        44100
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
         bmAttributes            9
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               Adaptive
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0168  1x 360 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       4
[...]
         wMaxPacketSize     0x021c  1x 540 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       5
[...]
       bAlternateSetting       6
[...]
         wMaxPacketSize     0x032a  1x 810 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       7
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           1
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                11
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           2
         bBitResolution         16
         bSamFreqType            1 Discrete
         tSamFreq[ 0]        48000
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
         bmAttributes            9
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               Adaptive
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x00c0  1x 192 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       8
[...]
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0120  1x 288 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       9
[...]
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0180  1x 384 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting      10
[...]
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0240  1x 576 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting      11
[...]
       bAlternateSetting      12
[...]
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0360  1x 864 bytes
         bInterval               1
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x01
             Sampling Frequency
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting      13
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           1
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                11
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           2
         bBitResolution         16
         bSamFreqType            1 Discrete
         tSamFreq[ 0]        96000
[...]
       bAlternateSetting      14
[...]
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       1
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           6
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                11
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           2
         bBitResolution         16
         bSamFreqType            1 Discrete
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]