Re: looking for a 4 (or 8) tracks firewire sound card supported by ALSA

> i need to buy a 4 tracks (at least) firexire sound card

http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page

As far as USB, I have the M-Audio Mobile Pre and it works under alsa.  But it only does two tracks.  And the one I have needs some solder work done on the usb cable connector.

Firewire is probably the better route to go in terms of number of available and supported devices.  Most USB devices seem to dawn from the USB 1.1 days and haven't changed much if at all since.  But there are a number of nice usb based microphones these days if you'd like to go that route.  Most usb devices don't exceed 16 bit @ 48 kHz sampling.  Firewire seems more capable than USB for higher sampling rates and multiple channels.  (if only my laptop had firewire).

- James