Master Volume and stereo in on my M-audio 1010LT?

Folks,

Please excuse me. I am not a pro-sound guy, just someone who wanted one of the
best sounding cards around. I may dabble in pro stuff but for now i just want
a stereo input and good volume control capabilities.

My set up is the following: Sourcemage gnu/linux (think of it as Gentoo but
bash kinda), kernel 2.6.22, alsa modules compiled from kernel, alsa-lib
1.0.15.rc2 and alsa-tools 1.0.14. I don't have any parameters when loading
the modules, the just load up with the defaults.

I have this card making wonderful sound with amarok, mplayer, xine all sorts
of things. Great stereo. I can adjust DAC 0 and DAC 1 to control the
left/right channels. I can do the same in kmix or alsamixer or what have you.

What i want is to be able to have one slider that controls all the volumes. I
want to set the DAC 0 and DAC 1 (to equal volumes in my case) and slide one
slider up and down to change the relative volume of both. Like a master
control.  I can't find such a control in either alsamixer or  envy24control.

My next question may not be appropriate for this list, but what corresponds to
stereo in? I'm assuming it's the 2 mic inputs (once i set the jumpers). I
need to get sound from my Dishnetwork set top box  which has unbalanced
analog jacks and optical out and i'm not sure hot to hook that up.

Should i get some sort of balanced to unbalanced converter cable or convert
the optical to spidif?

If i can just use 3 and 4 that's fine, but i have no idea how to tell
alsa/mythtv that these are the stereo inputs i want to use.

If i can't get the inputs right, i can just use my crappy soundblaster exitigy
for input but i'd rather do this through the m-audio if possible.

Thanks all. Please let me know if i have left any information out.

Bearcat M. Sandor