Re: Cross compile alsalib into a initrd directory

John Haxby wrote:
> Yes.  "prefix" is used to indicate where you want things to be finally
> installed.  So, for example, one normally does "./configure --prefix
> /usr" to have everything normally live under /usr.  What you want,
> however, is to install into /somewhere/initrd -- that's normally done
> when you do the make install and you usually do "make
> DESTDIR=/somewhere/initrd" install and everything will be installed
> there.

Thank you, this works. When I started alsa on my target with a wrongly configured path, there's no other indication for this mistake than "unknown PCM default". It took me several hours to find out what was wrong and searching the net shows that there are other guys with the same problem when cross compiling.

Do you agree that the paragraph you wrote could be a good addition to the cross compiling chapter of INSTALL?

When I configured another package which uses alsa there was the next problem: It tries to link: "/usr/lib/libasound.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format". Libtool is the reason this time. The solution is here: http://metastatic.org/text/libtool.html.

Thomas