Re: Cross compile alsalib into a initrd directory

Thomas Giesel wrote:

> I am trying to cross-compile the alsa-lib. I want to do it in a clean
> "configure - make - make install" way. It should be installed to
> "/somewhere/initrd/usr" on my host, which will appear at "/usr" on my
> target later.
>
> When I use prefix=/somewhere/initrd/usr it installs there, that's
> exactly what I want. But for example it tries to open
> "/somewhere/initrd/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf" on my target instead of
> ommiting "/somwhere/initrd". (Which leads to confusing error messages
> when starting programs like aplay later). This behaviour is probably
> wanted in many cases, but not in this use case. The only way I found
> was not to use the prefix and to compile the files manually to my initrd.
>
> Is there a clean way to do what I mean?

Yes.  "prefix" is used to indicate where you want things to be finally
installed.  So, for example, one normally does "./configure --prefix
/usr" to have everything normally live under /usr.  What you want,
however, is to install into /somewhere/initrd -- that's normally done
when you do the make install and you usually do "make
DESTDIR=/somewhere/initrd" install and everything will be installed there.

I have to admit that it's quite a long time since I last compiled the
alsa-libs so it might not be DESTDIR, but if in doubt look at the
install targets in the various Makefiles generated by ./configure.
Also, if you're not running as root -- and you shouldn't be -- it won't
hurt to just try it.

jch