Re: M-Audio MobilePre - snd-usb-audio

> I have the M-Audio MobilePre to use as a preamp
> for weak microphones.  All of my current mics are
> currently 1/8" or adaptered to 1/4".

Burried deep in the manual is an indication that normal computer mics are powered by current from the computer.  This unit does not provide that current.  Therefor the only mic I have that works on it is an old radio shack optimus mono mic that probably cost $10 a decade plus ago.  It runs off of a AAA battery and only recently started working again after banging it around for bit(literally).  So much for my giant squid audio lab collection.  And so much for gaining stereo recording capabilities for 1/8" style mics from this unit.  At least it has XLR type connectors so I can start working on my other mic collection.

- James