Re: Native Instruments USB Driver

Hi there Daniel and others!

I was able to change this value and rebuild the driver.  This has
allowed me to set buffer sizes down to 32 frames.  Now I am
investigating what could be the source of so many xruns and audio
problems at lower values that should work based on results from osx
and windows.  I am seeing intermittent streams of xruns with jack and
very high utililization of the xorg process when this happens.  I
have also disabled my layla20 interface which has cleared up some
glitches.  So now I am in the process of trying to audit resources
and eliminate any contention for that device at the irq and pci
level.  I have noticed that the USB ports I connect to have a default
pci timer latency of 32, while the layla like pro interfaces has
192.  I can get audio playback at lower buffer sizes than 1024, but
the appearance of xruns and buffer errors still seems random and
system related at this point.  Hopefully if I can eliminate these
other things, I can get a sense of what this device is capable of in
linux.

One bug:  I am getting full scale static on the rig control input
whenever it is monitored.
Another possible bug is the device not being available on boot up,
though I noticed enabling plug and play in my bios did make it
available on boot once.  Not a big deal since it is external and easy
to reconnect.

I'm not sure of what all the values near .periods_bytes_min mean in
the source code, so I am not sure how my test value of 32 may
interact with things like urbs and others.

@Alsa folks: One question I  have is whether is is necessary to
rebuild all alsa sources every time I change the audio driver section
or whether I can get away with just building the alsa-driver
portion.  It seems like these separate sources for driver, utils,
firmware and libs isn't much of a favor for the user/listener.  If
they all relate and shouldn't be used separately, then why not pack
them all together?

To Daniel, without me understanding how the rest of the audio section
works, is a patch warranted?

Thanks!

-jonathan