Native Instruments USB Driver

	Hello, I wanted to report some results using the new caiaq driver
for Native Instruments USB soundcards.

	snd-usb-caiaq

	So far I have tried the Rig Control 2, and the Kore Controller.

	I can get clear playback of a wav file through aplay and XMMS with
the soundcard assigned as card 0, or hw:0  However accessing the
headphone output on the kore controller has not been possible for me
yet.

	Concerning Jack, I have only been able to connect to jackd using a
buffer size of 1024.  I have tried three sample rates:  44.1, 48 and
96k; these are fine but only with 1024 frames or greater.  Depending
on various other settings I may set in qjackcontrol, the cpu usage of
jackd varies widely.  For example, if I select anything other than 2
ins and outs, its either 90% cpu, or the server will not connect.
With the Kore Controller, if I select what should be the proper
number of channels; 2 ins and 6 outs, no connection.  After some time
experimenting like this, occassionally qjackcontrol will blink out of
existence entirely, which I confirm with a ps -A in the terminal.
Or, the entire OS freezes without override and a system restart is
required.  Also when jack is connected at 1024 frames, there are
about 10 xruns per second.

	I have not had much success accessing the device with software that
supports alsa directly.  Either an error is reported, or just a
message about not connecting.  I was only able to get playback
through XMMS with the NI soundcard defined as card 0, default (from
modprobe.d/alsa-base).  Otherwise, as a higher card like card 3;
configuring the alsa driver within XMMS to select the Kore Controller
never works, though the device name is presented in the expected
place within XMMS.

	When I was able to get jack to connect, I ran a wined host that
could play back the same wavefile through the NI soundcard.  But
after some window activity, the sound playback breaks up and stutters
and then stays that way - and xruns out the kazoo.

	Concerning my hardware, I have tried 2 pci USB 2.0 cards; one with
VIA and the other an NEC chipset.  I have tried 2 cables, and
different ports with the same results.  Concerning my software, I am
using Ubuntu Studio, ALSA 1.0.14 built with caiaq support.

	In this same environment I am able to use the echo audio layla20 and
evolution x-session without any malfunctions for hours and hours at a
time, with wine and wineasio.  With these, jack and OS has never
crashed.

	Has anyone else used this driver yet or have different results?

	Is there anything I might try to improve performance with buffer
size and stability?

	Thanks for any help,

	Jonathan Adams Leonard