Re: Alsa problem on Dell XPS M1710 (or not??)

Hi Colleen,

> I'm tearing my hair out by the roots here.  I don't know if the problem
> is Alsa or something else because I *do* have sound.  However, I do not
> have sound when I try to play an audio CD, although I can rip the CD to
> my hard drive and then, I can hear it.

I do have a Dell XPS M1710 and AFAICT alsa works as advertised. I'm on
SuSE 10.2.

While I'm using a (more or less) current daily snapshot I remember it
used to work with 1.0.13 and all versions I tried since then.

> Output from ' aplay -l' is:

> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> (don't know if this is relevant)

Interesting. I do get:
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

In my /etc/modprobe.d I have a file 'sound' which contains:
options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0
# u1Nb.OsGRUMftmc4:82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

> On the *laptop* (XPS M1710), Kmix shows only the following items for
> output:
> Master
> PCM
> Capture Mux
>
> On the laptop, Kmix shows only Mic as Input

I usually use alsamixer from the console, but invoking Kmix it shows:
Output:
  Master, PCM, Capture Mux, Digital
Input:
  Capture, Capture Mux, Digital
Switch
  IEC958 and a dropdrow listbox 'Input Source' with Mic, Front Mic, Line

At the bottom of the Kmix window there also is a PAN slider.

> If someone can offer some direction here, I would appreciate it.

Don't remember since when I have this digital device, i.e. I'm not sure
I had it from the very beginning. However I'm not sure I would have
noticed a non working CD sound because I almost never use that.

To sum it up:
There exists a working setup for your HW.

HTH, best,
Michael
--
 Technosis GmbH, Geschäftsführer: Michael Gerdau, Tobias Dittmar
 Sitz Hamburg; HRB 89145 Amtsgericht Hamburg