Re: Alsa problem on Dell XPS M1710 (or not??)

At Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:14:40 +0200,
Michael Gerdau wrote:

> Hi Colleen,
>
> > I'm tearing my hair out by the roots here.  I don't know if the problem
> > is Alsa or something else because I *do* have sound.  However, I do not
> > have sound when I try to play an audio CD, although I can rip the CD to
> > my hard drive and then, I can hear it.
>
> I do have a Dell XPS M1710 and AFAICT alsa works as advertised. I'm on
> SuSE 10.2.
>
> While I'm using a (more or less) current daily snapshot I remember it
> used to work with 1.0.13 and all versions I tried since then.

FYI, the daily snapshot versions are available also as SUSE RPMs
under:

	http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/tiwai/

alsa.rpm is split to several sub-packages now (as of the recent 10.3):
alsa, libasound2, alsa-utils, and alsa-oss.  Install them
apprioriately from the repository above.  Also, installation of
alsa-plugins.rpm is recommended, too.

The alsa drivers are provided as KMP.  Install the corresponding
alsa-driver-kmp-* package.  Note that "rcalsasound restart" might not
be enough, and you'll unload the all snd* modules once.

Takashi