Alsa on Redhat Linux 2.6 Kernel

Hi,

I'm trying to install ALSA on a Redhat Linux 2.6 kernel.

I've downloaded the most recent software, ran configure, but it failed to compile out of the box.

Most of documentation seems to related to 2.0 and 2.2 kernels. I'm wondering if someone can point me to more up-to-date documentation.

I've been poking around and found that the apps aplay and arecord are already included as part of the distro I have installed. There is some talk in the docs about including ALSA as part of Linux, so I'm wondering, has that already happened?

Obviously I'm a beginner with ALSA, and unfortunately audio as well, but I'm tasked with reviewing ALSA for use in our embedded product, so any pointers to getting started would be helpful.

-Brooke