Re: hda-intel on Dell Inspiron 1300 has suddenly stopped working

On 7/14/07, stan <stanl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:17:35 -0500
> "Jake B" <otakuj462@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have an hda-intel soundcard on an Inspiron 1300. Today audio
> > playback suddenly stopped working completely. I have been unable to
> > produce sound from the built-in speakers, or using the mic jack. I
> > was originally running Kubuntu Edgy, but after the sound stopped
> > working, I decided to upgrade to Kubuntu Feisty which uses a newer
> > alsa. I was successfully able to upgrade to Feisty, and am now using
> > alsa 1.0.13, however I am still unable to produce sound.
> >
> > Here is the output from amixer:
> >
> > Simple mixer control 'Master',0  <--- should be something like 24
> > Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
> >   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
> >   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
> >   Mono:
> >   Front Left: Playback 26 [84%] [-7.50dB] [on]
> >   Front Right: Playback 26 [84%] [-7.50dB] [on]
> > Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
> >   Capabilities: pvolume
> >   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
> >   Limits: Playback 0 - 255
> >   Mono:
> >   Front Left: Playback 235 [92%] [-4.00dB]
> >   Front Right: Playback 235 [92%] [-4.00dB]
> > Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
> >   Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
> >   Playback channels: Mono
> >   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
> >   Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]
> > Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> >   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
> >   Playback channels: Mono
> >   Capture channels: Mono
> >   Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
> > Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
> >   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
> >   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> >   Limits: Capture 0 - 15
> >   Front Left: Capture 14 [93%] [21.00dB] [on]
> >   Front Right: Capture 14 [93%] [21.00dB] [on]
> > Simple mixer control 'Capture Mux',0
> >   Capabilities: volume
> >   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
> >   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
> >   Limits: 0 - 4
> >   Front Left: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
> >   Front Right: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
> > Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
> >   Capabilities: enum
> >   Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
> >   Item0: 'Mic'
> >
> > I believe the codec which this card uses is STAC9200.
> > If anyone has any advice as to how I could get this working, I would
> > greatly appreciate it if you could let me know.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jake
>
> Hi Jake,
>
> You appear to have all your volumes set to 0.  See the arrow above.
> Alsa automatically starts the first time with all volumes set to zero to
> avoid damaging components.  Go into the menus and find the alsamixer
> application on the gui, or type Shift-Ctrl-F1 to get to a text
> console and log in. Then type alsamixer to set your sound.  Both should
> store this for future use.

I have gone into alsamixer. The card is unmute and the volume turned
up. I messed around with the settings a bit, but they seem to have no
effect on the output of amixer. I read the amixer man page, and tried
to set the volumes manually:

jacob@jacob-laptop:~$ amixer -c 0 set 'Master' 100%
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
jacob@jacob-laptop:~$ amixer -c 0 set 'Master' 50%
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 16 [52%] [-22.50dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 16 [52%] [-22.50dB] [on]

As you can see, changing the settings with amixer causes a change in
the playback levels, but does not cause a change in "Simple mixer
control 'Master',0".
However, I just tested audio playback and it seems to be working
again. Very strange.
Thanks for your help.

Jake