Re: hda-intel on Dell Inspiron 1300 has suddenly stopped working

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:17:35 -0500
"Jake B" <otakuj462@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, I have an hda-intel soundcard on an Inspiron 1300. Today audio
> playback suddenly stopped working completely. I have been unable to
> produce sound from the built-in speakers, or using the mic jack. I
> was originally running Kubuntu Edgy, but after the sound stopped
> working, I decided to upgrade to Kubuntu Feisty which uses a newer
> alsa. I was successfully able to upgrade to Feisty, and am now using
> alsa 1.0.13, however I am still unable to produce sound.
>
> Here is the output from amixer:
>
> Simple mixer control 'Master',0  <--- should be something like 24
> Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 26 [84%] [-7.50dB] [on]
>   Front Right: Playback 26 [84%] [-7.50dB] [on]
> Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 255
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 235 [92%] [-4.00dB]
>   Front Right: Playback 235 [92%] [-4.00dB]
> Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
>   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Capture channels: Mono
>   Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
> Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 15
>   Front Left: Capture 14 [93%] [21.00dB] [on]
>   Front Right: Capture 14 [93%] [21.00dB] [on]
> Simple mixer control 'Capture Mux',0
>   Capabilities: volume
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: 0 - 4
>   Front Left: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
>   Front Right: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
> Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
>   Capabilities: enum
>   Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
>   Item0: 'Mic'
>
> I believe the codec which this card uses is STAC9200.
> If anyone has any advice as to how I could get this working, I would
> greatly appreciate it if you could let me know.
> Thanks.
>
> Jake

Hi Jake,

You appear to have all your volumes set to 0.  See the arrow above.
Alsa automatically starts the first time with all volumes set to zero to
avoid damaging components.  Go into the menus and find the alsamixer
application on the gui, or type Shift-Ctrl-F1 to get to a text
console and log in. Then type alsamixer to set your sound.  Both should
store this for future use.

You probably wiped out this configuration somehow inadvertently to cause
your original problem.