Re: hda-intel on Dell Inspiron 1300 has suddenly stopped working

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:50:22 -0500
"Jake B" <otakuj462@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have gone into alsamixer. The card is unmute and the volume turned
> up. I messed around with the settings a bit, but they seem to have no
> effect on the output of amixer. I read the amixer man page, and tried
> to set the volumes manually:
>
> jacob@jacob-laptop:~$ amixer -c 0 set 'Master' 100%
> Simple mixer control 'Master',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]  <--- actual setting
>   Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on] <--- actual setting
> jacob@jacob-laptop:~$ amixer -c 0 set 'Master' 50%
> Simple mixer control 'Master',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 16 [52%] [-22.50dB] [on]
>   Front Right: Playback 16 [52%] [-22.50dB] [on]
>
> As you can see, changing the settings with amixer causes a change in
> the playback levels, but does not cause a change in "Simple mixer
> control 'Master',0".
> However, I just tested audio playback and it seems to be working
> again. Very strange.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jake

Just looked at my amixer output and it has zero there as well.  I must
not understand the meaning of that zero, it must not refer to the level.
However, The information at the bottom seems to indicate whether it is
on and actually set to a level or not.

Bad advice, though it still worked.  :-)