Re: Are front and rear channels equivalent ?

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:39:57 +0400
Vladimir <kv11111@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have Revolution 5.1 sound card and stereo 2.0 setup. I've
> accidentally broken my front connector in the sound card and now I
> want to use the other connectors. I've found .asoundrc file which
> duplicates front channel to the rear channel on this forum:
>
> Are the output to the front and rear channel equivalent when using
> this .asoundrc or they are different ?

Hi Vladimir,

I think you are asking if the quality of the sound will be the same if
routed to the back channels of the card.  I just looked at
the .asoundrc at the link and it looks to me like the output will be
the same as long as you use this version that takes front
channels and routes them to the back channels at full volume.
# upmixing:
pcm.ch51dup {
        type route
        slave.pcm dmix6
        slave.channels 6
        ttable.0.0 1
        ttable.1.1 1
        ttable.0.2 1  <--- routing to rear
        ttable.1.3 1  <--- at full volume
        ttable.0.4 0.5
        ttable.1.4 0.5
        ttable.0.5 0.5
        ttable.1.5 0.5
   }

It does some unnecessary mixing for your case, but you won't hear the
difference, it will only make the cpu work a little harder.

There is one caveat:  That the plugins don't alter the quality of the
sound as it passes through them.

If you feel like experimenting you could change the ch51dup
to ch20dup as follows:
# upmixing:
pcm.ch20dup {
        type route
        slave.pcm dmix6
        slave.channels 6
        ttable.0.2 1
        ttable.1.3 1
   }

Beyond that you could change the dmix6 to use only 4 channels, 0, 1, 2,
3.