Re: Are front and rear channels equivalent ?

Hello,

thanks for your response.

stan wrote:
> I think you are asking if the quality of the sound will be the same if
> routed to the back channels of the card.
Yes, I should formulate my questions better next time.

> I just looked at
> the .asoundrc at the link and it looks to me like the output will be
> the same as long as you use this version that takes front
> channels and routes them to the back channels at full volume.
> # upmixing:
> pcm.ch51dup {
>         type route
>         slave.pcm dmix6
>         slave.channels 6
>         ttable.0.0 1
>         ttable.1.1 1
>         ttable.0.2 1  <--- routing to rear
>         ttable.1.3 1  <--- at full volume
>         ttable.0.4 0.5
>         ttable.1.4 0.5
>         ttable.0.5 0.5
>         ttable.1.5 0.5
>    }
>
> It does some unnecessary mixing for your case, but you won't hear the
> difference, it will only make the cpu work a little harder.
>
> There is one caveat:  That the plugins don't alter the quality of the
> sound as it passes through them.
I'm not fully understand this sentence. Why this is a caveat ?

> If you feel like experimenting you could change the ch51dup
> to ch20dup as follows:
> # upmixing:
> pcm.ch20dup {
>         type route
>         slave.pcm dmix6
>         slave.channels 6
>         ttable.0.2 1
>         ttable.1.3 1
>    }
>
> Beyond that you could change the dmix6 to use only 4 channels, 0, 1, 2,
> 3.
I'll try this. Can I also just skip dmix6 and route the sound directly to
hardware ?

--
         Best Regards,
              Vladimir